President & CEO
Business / Arts
POSITION President & CEO
LOCATION Toronto, ON
COMPANY WEBSITE http://www.businessandarts.org/
REPORTS TO Board of Directors
Business / Arts is a national, not-for-profit, convening body for arts, business, and government that fosters funding partnerships, volunteer leadership, and collaboration on shared initiatives to bolster the creative sector in Canada through the power of partnership.
Founded in 1974, our founding mission remains the same: to continue to champion business investment in the arts and build strong, lasting partnerships between the arts, business and government in Canada.
Our national matching investment fund and mentorship training program artsvest has created nearly 5,000 partnerships between business and arts organizations, raising over $21M in new private sector investment. Combined with matching funds, this has led to an overall impact is $29.25M on Canada’s cultural sector.
Through initiatives like the Canadian Arts Summit, we work in partnership with arts leaders, government and the business community to ensure a thriving arts and culture sector.
Our Business / Arts Awards celebrates partnerships between business and the arts, and profiles exceptional volunteers and leaders in the business and arts community who have made a significant impact on the arts in Canada.
Our research project Culture Track: Canada is a market research study tracking the behaviour trends of the Canadian cultural consumer. It provides important baseline data for cultural leaders to better understand and respond to the unique proclivities of Canada’s cultural audiences, volunteers and donors.
Our arts & business exchange and boardlink initiatives are focused on cultivating and inspiring the next generation of business leaders to volunteer and invest in the arts.
As President & CEO (CEO) of Business / Arts (B/A), you will inspire staff, stakeholders, the arts community, and business leaders and lead the organization to even greater prominence.
Your leadership will ensure that B/A continues to evolve its core programs and outreach while having the financial and operational capacity to fully support its mission today and into the future. You are a visionary who will lead the overall strategic direction for B/A while working in close partnership with a dedicated Board and staff.
This is an opportunity to bridge prominent business professionals with established and emerging arts organizations and make meaningful, impactful connections while advancing the cultural dialogue. You are a dynamic, well-connected, natural entrepreneur who possesses strong strategic skills and instincts; the passion, eloquence, and energy to inspire support for Business / Arts.
You are driven to imagine and deliver new lines of business, partnerships, and revenue opportunities, and you will grow B/A with the addition of new and exciting ventures.
Leadership & Advocacy
- The CEO role is an entrepreneurial, administrative, strategic, and advocacy role that advances the vision, mission, and values of B/A.
- Build on B/A’s presence and advocacy agenda with the goal of steadily strengthening the organization.
- Work with staff to ensure B/A maintains its current programs and events while fostering an entrepreneurial spirit throughout the organization.
- Develop and deliver an innovative and impactful strategic plan, to address retention and acquisition of business partnerships and the arts community.
- Work with the board and staff to ensure that programs and events meet the ambitions of the organization while balancing fiscal responsibility.
- Oversee and implement a fundraising plan to significantly increase the financial bandwidth of the operation.
- Develop and foster a workplace culture that maintains the highest standards for excellence, equality, creativity, collaboration, and inclusiveness.
- Act as the face and spokesperson for the organization and its programming.
- Represent B/A at all levels of government, as it pertains to funding, reporting, and advocacy.
- Ensure an ongoing, effective administrative structure is in place and provide oversight and support to the B/A staff and Board.
- Manage and maintain excellent relations with the Board to facilitate effective governance.
- Work closely with the Board to plan and organize quarterly board meetings and develop agendas. The CEO works closely with the Board Chair to keep them up to date with the activities of the organization and to provide information in a timely manner.
- Provide excellent financial management ensuring the continuation of fiscal responsibility and sustainability going forward; oversee the development of financial and management reports to support informed and robust Board and executive decision-making.
- Set annual revenue goals, objectives, and strategies to meet those goals.
- Work with the Operations Director, accountant and Treasurer to prepare annual operating budgets and financial reports for presentation to the Board for approval.
- Review with the Operations Director, accountant and Treasurer, all expenses and budgets regularly, making adjustments as needed.
- Oversee adherence to rules and conditions attached to existing donations, grants, and sponsorships including partnerships, gifts-in-kind, etc.
Fundraising & Development
- Provide fundraising leadership and management to ensure that funds from both the private and public sectors are obtained to support the strategic and operational goals of the organization.
- Secures and stewards major sponsors, partners, donors, and funders.
- Be entrepreneurial and diligent in the development and implementation of a fundraising strategy, together with the Development team.
- Set metrics against which fundraising will be regularly evaluated.
- Provide leadership for B/A’s fundraising initiatives including grants, corporate and foundation requests, individual donor support, profile enhancement, annual campaigns, and events.
- Recruits, retains and leads the senior management team and direct reports as needed.
- Responsible for the ownership and oversight of the strategic plan, the objectives and goals of the organization, and the team and individual objectives.
- Provides oversight for human resource planning, performance development and management.
- Leads and empowers a national team of 17 for a unified vision and shared goals
- Organizes and leads regular all-staff meetings and employee engagement.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience of progressively senior leadership roles in the arts, not-for-profit, and/or private sector.
- A demonstrated track record of inclusive and strategic leadership, vision, collaboration and team-building with strong interpersonal skills, integrity, high energy, and creativity.
- A strong commitment to B/A’s mission, vision and values.
- An influential speaker and gifted communicator on the value of the arts.
- Experienced in creating and delivering a strategic plan.
- Strong financial management skills and experience in creating, managing, presenting, and interpreting budgets.
- Excellent stakeholder management skills and experience reporting to a Board of Directors as well as board governance.
- Demonstrated track record in revenue generation.
- Experience in managing fundraising strategies and campaigns and identifying new sources and increased levels of contributed income.
- Experience in corporate giving strategies, sponsorships and donor trends in the arts.
- Background in government relations and grant writing.
- Demonstrable experience and capacity to lead, manage, motivate, inspire, train and collaborate with staff, Board, and volunteers.
- A track record of developing and running grant programs, mentorship, and training programs.
- Ability to plan, organize, and run large events of similar scale to B/A’s Awards gala and Canadian Arts Summit.
- Strong network and profile in the business community.
- An ethical, positive reputation in the arts community; knowledgeable about the issues facing the arts today.
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills.
- Able to speak and write persuasively and serve as the spokesperson for B/A in public and in the media.
- Experience and knowledge of marketing, advertising and public relations activities.
- Experience building and effectively managing government and community relations.
- Adept at running research initiatives.
- Undergraduate/graduate degree or experiential equivalent.
- Bilingualism / ability to speak and write in French is an asset.
- A visionary who can put plans into action; a catalyst who can create energy and excitement around B/A’s mission and encourage others to support the organization.
- A versatile, skilled, and effective communicator with the ability to articulate the transformative power and impact of B/A in the worlds of business and the arts.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills; decisive, confident, humane.
- Business savvy, driven and dedicated to outstanding programs and member outreach.
- A strategic thinker who embraces innovation and change. Politically astute.
- Digitally skilled; comfortable working with digital platforms.
- A genuine commitment to support and grow an internal culture that values people and provides an opportunity for everyone to flourish.
- Authentic and genuine communication skills and public-speaking abilities. The personal stature to inspire the organization, the Board and the stakeholders by representing B/A with integrity.
- Dedicated to the principles of equal opportunity, cultural diversity, and broadening access to the arts.
- A confident, calm, and tactful professional approach that demonstrates emotional intelligence with an ability to deal with a wide variety of people and with changing internal and external conditions.
A competitive compensation package will be provided with salary and applicable benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application by emailing your cover letter and résumé no later than April 30th, 2020 to BA@searchlightpartnersgroup.com
Business / Arts is an equal opportunity employer committed to reflecting our country’s diversity. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
We thank applicants for their interest, however, only those advancing in the process will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to BA@searchlightpartnersgroup.com